Saturday, September 23, 2017

EDWIN PASS WATCHMAKERS

91 John St S, Hamilton, ON circa 1860s





This outstanding, heritage designated, commercial property has been in ownership of the Edwin Pass family of watchmakers for over 120 years!


Photo from Paul Wilson at the Spec.



Click to learn more!
ADVERTISEMENT: CLICK TO LEARN MORE!



FRESH FACTS
  • In 1864, George E. Tuckett purchased part of the lot containing the subject property.
  • Tuckett began a cigar making business in London Ontario in 1857, returning to Hamilton a year later making and selling cigars at a shop on York Street. 
  • Tuckett owned the subject property until 1899, when he sold it to his tenant Edwin Pass. Tuckett never ran his own business or shop from 91 John Street South, but rented to a variety of tenants, including the following:
    • Jacob Johnston, tailor (1866-1871)
    • Henry Kretchman, tavern keeper (1872- 1874
    • Thomas Boyd, trunk maker (1875)
    •  F.L. Brazencer, profession unknown (1876)
    •  Leon Ross, clothier (1877)
    • Robert Friter, machinist (1878)
    • George King , carpet layer and John Parkyn, tailor (1879)
    • George Robertson, cabinet maker (1881)
    • William Connell, cabinet maker (1882)
    • John Phelp and William Goodwin, jewelers (1883-1885)
    • William Goodwin, watchmaker (1886- 1887)
    •  Christopher Atwood, watchmaker (1888)
    • Edwin K. Pass, watchmaker (1889 onwards)

FRESH FEATURES

  • Example of an early-to-mid-19th century vernacular commercial building
  • Influence of Georgian architectural style
  • There are few other intact discernible examples of this type of commercial structure remaining in Hamilton, making it a rare example
  • The rounded arches of the door, the arched detailing on the storefront window and the bracketed cornice above the storefront and entrance are more representative of later 19th century Italianate design and may have been added to the structure during this time period

ADVERTISEMENT: CLICK TO LEARN MORE


  • The second storey and rear addition would initially have provided living quarters or additional commercial space
  • The architect, designer or builder of the structure is not known
  • The interior of the main first storey features embossed tin wall covering and ceiling tiles

  • The interior of the former jewellery shop also contains two large solid cherry and glass jewellery display cases, which were reportedly built for the shop, work desks used by the watchmakers, and an ornate display window feature, partition, and safe


ADVERTISEMENT: CLICK TO LEARN MORE

  • A cherry frame mirror with decorative scrollwork atop is located in front of the sliding glass panels on a short pulley system providing access to the display panel



Offered at $389,900
Listing with Elizabeth Parker of Judy Marsales Real Estate Ltd
Photos by www.vogel-creative.com

No comments:

Post a Comment