This FRESH listing calls for a HOLY brick! Besides being ridiculously good looking, this Classical Revival packs heritage punch. Its history dates back to 1833 and even includes archeological potential. Read more below, but first treat yourself to a visual feast courtesy of Tom Vogel, www.vogel-creative.com.
Listing with Pat & Karen Lilja
Offered at $759,000!
VIEW FULL LISTING HERE
Significant for its association with William McKinlay, Hugh McGinty Jr. and the early economic prosperity of West Flamborough
William McKinlay (1807-1849) came to the village of West Flamborough in the early 1830s from the United States, acquiring the three-quarter acre lot upon which he would build the McKinlay-McGinty House in 1833. He established an iron and brass foundry in 1836 and his enterprise became the most important economic concern in the village, contributing greatly to its early prosperity.
The McKinlay-McGinty House, constructed in 1848, is a reminder of the town's early growth and McKinlay's contributions to it.
The house was acquired by Hugh McGinty Sr. in 1922. Hugh Sr. died in 1932, leaving the house to his son Hugh Jr., a local historian and a collector and restorer of early Canadian furniture. McGinty remained in the house until his death in 1982, bequeathing the property, its contents and his estate to the Ontario Heritage Foundation (now Ontario Heritage Trust). It was acquired by the Trust in 1984, restored and sold as a private home with a protective covenant.
- Centre hall plan designed in the Classical Revival style
- Two-and-a-half storeys high, built of red brick laid in Flemish bond on a limestone foundation
- Four pairs of octagonal brick chimneys and is capped with a low hip roof
- Four wooden columns with Tuscan bases and capitals
- Sidelights and transom in the front entrance
- Palladian-inspired window
- Front windows are detailed with shutters and rusticated voussoirs
- Greek Revival mantels in the parlour and ballroom
- Plank flooring, baseboards and six paneled doors with pilaster and architrave trim
- Ornamental plaster work
- Black and white painted floor in a lozenge pattern
- Stairs with cherry wood railings with white spindles
- High baseboards, wooden door and window frames and wide plank flooring
- Mature trees surrounding the house
- Carriage house at the rear of the property
Although the McKinlay-McGinty House has never had an archaeological assessment, animal bones, pottery shards, bottle fragments and pieces of clay pipe recovered indicate a high archaeological potential on site.
Historical Source: http://historicplaces.ca/en/rep-reg/place-lieu.aspx?id=10514